What does Proverbs 23:23 mean?
- Proverbs 23:23 Buy the truth, and do not sell it, Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
To buy or to get truth, wisdom, instruction and understanding means to expend time and energy to acquire them. They cannot be bought with money.
Do not sell truth, wisdom, instruction and understanding, means having acquired them do not let them go, keep careful hold of them.
- Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
- Proverbs 16:16 How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!
The only source of truth, wisdom, instruction, and understanding is the scriptures. Time and effort are necessary to read and understand God’s purpose and what he requires of us.
- Proverbs 2:1-6 My son, if you receive my words, And treasure my commands within you, 2 So that you incline your ear to wisdom, And apply your heart to understanding; 3 Yes, if you cry out for discernment, And lift up your voice for understanding, 4 If you seek her as silver, And search for her as for hidden treasures; 5 Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, And find the knowledge of God. 6 For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;
- John 8:31-36 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. 33 They answered Him, We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can you say, ‘You will be made free? 34 Jesus answered them, Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
I hope you find this helpful,